Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Patch is up!

Ah, Patch days. They are exhilarating and frustrating at the same time.

Patch 3.3 went live today. After some extended maintenance, SwC came back up and our modest, medium-pop RP server got very packed, very quickly. After dealing with some UI and add-on issues, I was finally able to start instancing. Luckily, a guild group had one more more spot left and I got to try Forge of Souls for the first time.

Now, keep in mind, I'm not a raider. I've done it, in the past, for the fun of hanging out with guildies, but it's never been something that I enjoy just for the sake of it. Different strokes for different folks and all that. Five-man instances, on the other hand, are a whole different story, I can do five-mans all day. So we head in, with a bit of nervousness since it's a new instance and of course we know nothing about the bosses.

First thing we notice is that Jaina is now a rather snooty-looking Amazon woman. When did this happen?

Second thing we notice is... wait, that music... it sounds rather... kind of like Austin Powers-esque organ music. Or something you'd hear on a drug episode of Dragnet re-runs, with a hint of techno. This is not your normal WoW music.

We get around to Bronjahm, the first boss. Our hunter remarks about the reference to James Brown, we all laugh, buff up, and jump in.

And then it REALLY starts.



A quarter of the way through the fight, I completely lost it. The music is so different, so joyfully epic, and I just could not stop the giddy schoolgirl laughter. Surprisingly, we didn't wipe! On the contrary, I think it motivated us even more.

The next boss is the Devourer of Souls. It was up for debate on who it looked more like: The Wizard of Oz or the Face of Boa from Dr. Who. Either way, he/she/it was a bit hectic the first go-around, but an easy finish the second time.

I'm love, love, loving Forge of Souls... definitely one of the most entertaining instances I've seen in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note that comments are moderated to stop spam messages. It may take a while for your comment to show up on the post.